Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Postictal

The postictal phase of a seizure is the period of recovery after the electrical event has ended.  I've never had a seizure, but I feel like I'm in the postictal phase of one now.

Cesare's case went before the surgical board at NYU.  They considered his candidacy for the RNS implant.  They said no.  The build up, let's call it an aura, lasted about five months and included a smorgasbord of tests: VEEG, MEG, neurophychological, MRI.  The event itself was simply a brief email.  For a moment, I lost my breath and couldn't hear anything around me.

The after effects of a seizure can include "both psychiatric and cognitive symptoms".  I have both.  I feel angry and I think I could wail on someone.  This isn't a rational anger.  The surgical team did not "set up" my son, nor did they come by this decision casually.  But postictal behavior isn't rational.  Or is it?

I just want treatment: every last established or experimental treatment that exists.  Anywhere.  That's all any of us want.  The inequity of the CBD oil phenomenon, for example, is cruel.  Those of us outside the small windows of places like Colorado Springs are like empty pocketed children who may only put our noses to the glass and wish we were allowed in to the sweet shoppe.  Today I read three articles about parents whose unimaginable loss could conceivably have been prevented with access to CBD oil for their children with epilepsy.

I understand controlled studies.  I understand risk analysis.  But I'm a parent and you probably are too.  That supercedes patience and tolerence for regulated health care.  Shirley...

Perhaps a different but no less exacting role is the epilepsy doc or surgeon who has to say "no".  Hundreds of patients and managed medicine that demands docs squeeze caring into just minutes for each appointment.  An inbox that's never empty.  Failed treatments.  Patients who succomb.  Two of Cesare's docs over the years left their jobs because it was just too much: one I still miss, the other had no heart.  But those that see it through are quite simply remarkable.  The doc who perfomed numerous surgeries on Cesare, and is responsible for eliminating Ces' most severe seizures, still rides his white horse into the operating room at NYU after 25 years in practice..even though he declined to mount-up this time.

I'm sure with time I'll shake off the impulse to smash something or to picket the hospital and I'll allow rational thought to reign.

What comes after the postictal phase?  Life.




8 comments:

  1. I am just so sorry. This is exactly how I felt when Mayo called a few weeks after my son's evaluation to say that he was not a good candidate for brain surgery. I had been really hopeful, and it just took it out of me.

    I so wish that you had easy (and legal) access to CBD oil. We finally were able to try Charlotte's Web, but it wasn't successful for us. I just wish anyone who wanted to try it, could.

    More than anything, as my son's neuro always tells us...don't give up. We never know what might come up next to help him. My thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How infuriating, frustrating. Life must seem cruel and unfair. Maybe the surgery represented much for you all than simply being a medical procedure, the way doctors have to view it. All you want is some light at the end of the tunnel, some hope for positive change, some relief for your child, some let up of the worry and anxiety in your own life. I am sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  3. Hi Amy Kate, Sometimes when I am up worrying about my boy, I think of you worrying about your boy, and since I was doing this last night, I want to put thoughts into action and say I hope all is well with you and your family this spring. We don't know each other but your blog and your openness about the struggles you face have greatly impacted me as as epilepsy mom. All the best, Beth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, that means a lot to me. I'm sorry you've been worrying. Not sure when that stops.

      Delete
  4. I agree with Beth above. I hope that you guys are alright since you havent written in a while. I love your blog, it helps me feel less alone on this epilepsy boat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've encouraged me to write. Thank you Paola.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete