Saturday, March 22, 2014

Not everything is about the epilepsy, but it sure seems like it.

Today I've made a decision.  I've decided I need to put words to paper.  I've written before, and I've blogged before but only about seminal events (or ovular events, if you will).  I blogged the happy occasion of my son's match with his service dog.  I blogged our memorable summer grasping at straws in California with a wise 96 year old osteopath who was said to have magic fingers: magic enough to stop some children's seizures.  Not magic enough to stop my son's.  

But it's the day to day living and surviving with epilepsy that confounds me, that drowns me.  It's the tumor-like tentacles that touch everything, everything.  Each of the relationships in my family has been affected: the dyads, the triads and the whole of the four of us.  Any family who lives with epilepsy understands the peculiar sanity in scouring the landscape on a remote trip into the wilderness to scope where a helicopter could land, you know,  if it needed to.  They understand the havoc epilepsy wreaks on a marriage.  The contorted way of parenting, ever weighing what fair is.  

Cesare (Chez' a ray) is 17.  He is the glass half full.   In his twelve years of epilepsy we have subjected him to treatments both traditional and non. Medications, diet, osteopathy, nerve stimulation and surgeries.  Oh, the surgeries.  They dot a landscape in my memory that is vast and arid and has the scent of stale coffee. Seven surgeries, seven day long vigils in a hospital waiting room.  Ces continues to seize most every day. He never complains or sinks into self pity. 

Cesare is more than his epilepsy.  But it's hard not to see 
everything cast is that shade.  His identity, his abilities, his daily routine.  
And mine.  

I am good at distraction, keeping in forward motion.  I'm very good at that.  I work with difficult adolescents in an Alternative School and when I am with them, I am wholly there. I see  more children in my private practice and am present for them as well.  I keep my mind stimulated by teaching college. I teach about the issues I am passionate about.  I teach students about the seeds of violence against women, which are right where we planted them..all around us. 

I will take a break from forward motion and allow myself to hover, be still.  I won't fall if I can write.  Thank you for catching my words.  

9 comments:

  1. Amy - Just found your blog through the new epilepsy.com website. You are farther on this journey than I (yesterday was the 1 year anniversary of my 10 year old's first seizure) but I can appreciate the need to put what you're feeling and experiencing into words. Thanks for taking the leap! Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, KT. I truly hope your son's path is the far more typical path with far better prognosis. Best wishes to your little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe how well you describe my life...with few detailed differences, of course. Much luck to you and yours, from another mom of a son with uncontrolled epilepsy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to hear more about your life, Jessica. Is your child also entering "transition"?

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're not quite there yet; my son's 11, but his first seizure was around age 5. He's going through a particularly rough patch lately. I just started a "Blogger" blog but I do participate in an epilepsy board over at reddit. If you care to look me up, my comment history gives a lot of our story (username is notacoffesnob)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to find your blog Amy Kate. We're a year into our epilepsy journey with my 2.5 year old, still daily seizures, uncontrolled with the meds we've tried. At times, it feels like it's a long road ahead, but such is life. Thanks for sharing C's situation - he's clearly an awesome dude despite his struggles. So tough on us mamas... hang in there! In solidarity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading, Heidi. Hopefully your son will be like most and grow out of his epilepsy. Until then, we'll hang on together.

      Delete
  7. Nice blog Amy Kate. It is better to put your words into paper and let more people know your story. This is an inspirational post especially for people who have the same situation like you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Danillo, for taking the time to read it and contact me!

      Delete