Monday, January 19, 2015

Separation Anxiety

As I am writing this post I need to stop every few minutes to comfort Ces who is lying next to me.  He's in day three of completely unexplained batches of seizures: as many as ten back to back more than once in a day.  I've already administered  Ativan to calm his system...but he keeps rolling- 30 to 40 seconds each time.  He freezes, gasps, trembles, sighs, and then says, "over".  Last weekend he seized sitting in the bathroom and tumbled into the vanity lacerating his scalp pretty colorfully.  He is scheduled to have the staples removed this afternoon.

And each one of these suckers, as they always have, start with a fear aura.  What must that be like?  Undefined terror grips Cesare that can't be explained, and can't be quelled with any of the conventions the rest of us use to confront our fears: a light in the dark, or safety in numbers.

Cesare has already topped out each of his anti-epileptic drugs.  There is nothing left to increase, and virtually nothing on the market he hasn't tried.  His safety intervention med is a nasal spray, called Medazolam, which has thus far proved worthless.  So I pile on the Ativan which makes him sleepy and dopey.  (He's just had his eleventh seizure and I've just handed him his second Ativan).

The last time this strange cycle occurred was early November.  After increasing his Fycompa, his old pattern returned: averaging two or three seizures daily, usually around bedtime.  (My apologies, Fycompa, to anything I have said in the past about your potential side effects that may have offended you).

With the confidence that that strange anomaly had passed and with the advent of the new year we spent some of our Winter Holiday moving me out of Cesare's bedroom.  New paint, some new furniture and the plan to order a nifty kind of new pulse-ox that is worn like a wrist watch.

This has been a difficult move for me... a whole different kind of letting go from the tearful goodbye I had just said to Griffin in the fall as he headed for college.  And wouldn't you know, Griffin leaves this afternoon to return to college after a month home.  Two very different kinds of separation.  Two very different kinds of anxiety.  I am preoccupied with both.

Last week, Griffin engineered making good on a challenge he had with his brother: when they turned 18 they would get tattoos.  They agreed on the Celtic symbol for Brother.  They are both quite proud of themselves, and I am quite teary.




Cesare is gearing up for his own loss as his twin packs up to leave today.  We've talked about coping and what forms that can take.  Cesare says he needs to wipe Griffin from his memory to make the transition.   He told me yesterday that he wouldn't be wearing T-shirts for a while.  He wants long sleeves to cover up the symbol that represents what he will soon be without.

Cesare has stopped seizing now, and we'll go on with our day.  Tonight, I'll be in my bed with my ear close to the baby monitor and wishing I had a life line to Griff as well.  Cesare will close a door in his mind that keeps his longing for his brother just a little further than arm's distance away.




15 comments:

  1. Oh Amy Kate. The tension in your lives. I am so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gave in to a wee bit of whining. Thank you Beth.

      Delete
  2. I know what this is like, so I feel for you immensely. It is just so hard. Have you ever tried the Medazolam buccally (between cheek and gum)? When we used it nasally, it didn't really help stop the seizure clusters, but for some reason the buccal administration did help quiet things down. We often needed as much as 2 vials, however. It tastes horrible, of course, but it worked a little better (Ativan didn't seem to touch the seizures at all). I sure hope things stay calm for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to ask the doc about that today! Thank you Jessica, never would have known that was out there. I'm thinking, after all of these years at NYU, of getting second (fourth) opinion. Do you have an epilepsy center you'd recommend?

      Delete
  3. My son was seen at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN because their pediatric neurology/epilepsy center is there. They were amazing, not just in patient care, but in providing support for the patient's support team. That was the first time we knew why our son was having seizures. If they have an adult epilepsy center in that or another hospital, I am sure it would be at least as good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that info. I hope your son is doing well!

      Delete
  4. Hope Ces finds some relief soon. I am sorry that you guys are going through this. I feel for Cesare and you and I follow your blog for updates. Will you be able to get the medical marijuana? Are you still considering the Rns? Last, I wanted to mention John Hopkins university neurology in Baltimore,mone of the best in the country.mthey do second opinion over the mail ( for a fee) if you don't want to drive the 4 hours to Baltimore. If you make it to Winchester this summer, let me know, so I can coordinate if you still want when I go to Harrisonburg with my son. Hope Ces and you find some relief. Best wishes and a prayer, Paola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paola! Ces' name finally came up on the Charlotte's Web ridiculously long wait list. When I read the extensive fine print it continues to appear I can only get it within Colorado and I am still at risk if I try to take it out of Colorado. That idea is on hold as we anxiously await the NYU surgical review team's meeting 2/10 to approve or deny Cesare's access to the RNS. I hope they say yes, but know the kind of mental and emotional preparation needed (for me!) to go through another brain surgery. But Ces wants to do it...

      Johns Hopkins was one of the first hospitals we tried. We did not have a great experience, but it was only with a researcher who was monitoring Cesare for an Atkin's diet version of the Ketogenic Diet. Not only was the trial a complete failure, so was the doc. I'm willing to try again, though. It was many years ago. Thank you for info!

      I don't know whether Cesare will choose to go to the Epilepsy camp again this summer in West Virginia. I had uncomfortable feelings abou the supervision last year. I hope we meet one day, though. Hope all is well for you and thank you for your consistant support!

      Delete
  5. Oh Amy, my heart goes out to you and Ces. So sorry. Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janice. I hate to give in to negativity...but there it is.

      Delete
  6. Hi Amy Kate, How is your son? I hope things have calmed down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've both adjusted to the separation...I think. Cesare's seizures continue to have unexplained spikes. Wish I knew why. Thank you for asking!

      Delete
  7. Hi Amy Kate,

    When I think of a very experienced parent of a child with long-term, serious epilepsy, I think of you. I don't know anyone like that in real life. Your blog has so much wisdom and perspective in terms of life and life with epilepsy. So here is a question for you, I hope not too personal?

    Do you have any thoughts on working 35 hrs a week and parenting a child with epilepsy? My son (age 5) started at 11 months with febrile seizures, but now regularly has complex partials with secondary generalization and status epilepticus every.single.time, but so far seizes only when he has infection. Which is sometimes often in cold and flu season, other times less often. Point us, his doctors and us do not have it under control as we are still in those "wait and see" years full of diagnostics, midazolam and ER room visits, and no diagnosis. There's no magic pill that will take the stress away for his type, unfortunately.

    I have applied for a job in which I would be on the school calendar and have an interview next week. I really, really want the job. It's what I have been waiting for these past 8 years as an SAHM, and it would take me all the way up to retirement. I am passionate about the school and the job. All the same I do wonder about my stress level and ability to juggle (alone) work, home, house and garden, a 7 year old sibling, a 5 year old with epilepsy, and a husband who travels most of the week for work. No family in the area to help out, but a supportive community for moral support.

    If it is not too personal, do you have any wise thoughts looking back? All musings would be much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth,
      Your son's seizures sound so severe at those times, I can only imagine. Not sure what you mean: "no diagnosis" you mean haven't found the focal point, or the whey the seizures began? I've never experienced what you have, so I hope you appreciate that my experience is only my experience. But I can share some thoughts... My first thought is to take the job! For me, I know need to do other things beyond caring for Ces and his seizures. I think anything that can help make me happy or contribute to my life is going to contribute to my kids' lives as well. You sound like it would make you very happy.
      A great bonus for you to have a school calendar!

      Is your son going to school or will you need care during the day? Wondering if you have applied for a medicaid waiver for your son ( http://www.medicaid.gov/medicaid-chip-program-information/by-topics/waivers/home-and-community-based-1915-c-waivers.html ). To apply, he will likely need the diagnosis of epilepsy or seizure disorder...so back to my question above about diagnosis. I did not know about the waiver until years into Ces' illness. One of the things it provided for me was nursing care at home, so that any hours my husband and I were at work and Cesare was not in school (afternoons) I had a nurse here for him. Now that he has graduated and thus far unable to work a regular job, the nurse is here full time so that we can work. He had enough seizures at school that when he was in sixth grade the district finally agreed to nursing at school so that he was covered then too. I am still overwhelmed at times and think often about quitting my job and living in a yurt. But I won't.

      The extra income may allow you to bring other help into the house...order meals, someone to clean the house, babysitters, etc. I guess I am unabashedly chearleading you to go for the job.

      I think we have to take care of ourselves...and each other.

      Delete
    2. Hi Amy Kate,

      Thank you so much for your quick reply and your thoughts. You have a good point, it would contribute to their lives if it made me happy. It's true that it is becoming increasingly unfulfilling being a SAHM and waiting and watching for epilepsy to come visit.

      They just found a focus last week, for the first time after so many EEGs, and we are in the middle of more diagnostics (MRI, again). But our son does not follow any typical progression. I know they must give some diagnosis so that insurance pays for our appointments, but so far what I have seen is an ICD code amounting to "other seizures." (We live in Germany, hence ICD coding) What his team says to me is "maybe it is GEFS+, we have to wait and see, it is very unclear so far." We have excellent care here in Berlin, I am not complaining that they should be able to pin it down already. The slowing that showed a focus was also really unusual. It is the longitudinal border between the occipital and temporal lobes, but not a PTO type focus. There is almost nothing on the internet about this.

      I am also in the middle of the process within the German system like the medicaid waiver which would help with nursing care, household help, increased number of paid sick days for parents etc. The tricky part is that I usually need no one, until the moment when I absolutely need someone, when I am getting an ambulence because he's been in status too long. We have had months, even once 1.5 years of peace. And then we'll hit a stage where the seizures come every other week, but being associated with infection, it all depends on what is going around.

      Crazy-making, all of it. Thank you again for your thoughts!

      Delete