Monday, May 11, 2015

Reckoning

I don't know if there is a way to write about one's pain without seeming to invite sympathy.  I've been writing this blog for a year and in that time I've shared the experience of jumping hurdles and I've written about stumbling.   Many of you have generously written back.  When I am sorrowful, however,  I have a difficult time writing.  I don't want to be a victim, or sound like a victim.  I don't want sympathy.  I don't want to be that person.  It is one reason I write here thinly anonymously: I want to purge without being identifiable.  As I read back through the last year of my blog entries I grow weary listening to this mother who writes of nothing but epilepsy and its choke hold.

I'm a memoir junkie.  I've read dozens and dozens of stories of struggle.  Jeanette Walls, Augusten Burroughs, Mary Karr, Tobias Wolf, Charles Blow, Ishamael Baeh.  In Left to Tell, Immaculee Ilibagiza writes of being hidden for ninety one days in a bathroom with seven other women to survive the Hutu's machetes in Rwanda.  Martin Pistorius, in Ghost Boy, describes being locked in his body but fully conscious, dismissed by doctors as terminal and unreachable.  Amanda Lindhout endured 460 days held captive in Somalia.  I have no patience for the melodramatic writer.  A clean dispassionate yet earnest account is what keeps me glued to the pages.  Not all of the authors have "triumphed": some are slightly broken living slightly off-kilter lives.

I am not those writers.  I haven't lived a life of abuse.  I haven't been buried in my brain or underground or hid from terrorists.  I feel as though after a year of writing about epilepsy, I should be moving on.  Coping, surviving or whatever it is that people do when they resist sliding into a hole.  More than driving a truck through our lives, these pages seem to reveal lives seated firmly in the truck.  We occupy all of the available spaces but for the driver's seat where epilepsy is obtrusively maneuvering our course.  I feel like epilepsy owns me, or at least a controlling share of me.

I haven't written in a few months.  I've been in a dark place.  Cesare hit another rough patch.  I hit his seizures with everything we had.  I drained our emergency supply of midazolam and slept with one hand on Cesare's chest.  He ended up back in the hospital.  They added a fourth anti-epileptic drug and a VNS.  And though he is now more stable, I was drained.  I felt like a victim and knew I'd sound like one if I wrote.

I've not completely shaken this feeling.  I too often feel sorry for myself though I know I shouldn't or certainly shouldn't admit to it.  Of course the irony is that I don't have epilepsy.  I am healthy and privileged in many ways.   I am, however,  entangled in caregiver-itis and parent-itis.  It's too blurry where I sit right now: where Cesare begins and I end.

Thank you, Beth and Paola, for reaching out recently and for being supportive and kind listeners.  I hope to keep wrtiting but I want to write of more than epilepsy.  I want to drain its power and find a way to distance myself from this persona.  Perhaps I need a new blog for that.





3 comments:

  1. Hi Amy Kate, thank you for writing. I completely respect your decision, but just for the record, you have never struck me as one of those "professional victims" at all, on the contrary, as a strong empowered woman that has dealt with more than most with incredible poise and determination. And epilepsy does affect the entire family, so in a sense, we all suffer from it one way or the other, and unlike other conditions where people wear ribbons, run marathons for you etc. most of us endure in the shadows. So I commend you for your bravery, for speaking up, for standing up for yourself and others, for writing this blog and for saying things that most of us are too afraid to admit. And BTW , I have always thought that your blog was about family, and parenting and just what us parents face on the daily parenthood grind, not just epilepsy. I am glad that Cesare is doing better, hope vNS works for him. Thank you for this blog, I will sure be reading on !! Best wishes from VA, P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy Kate. Paola said it so well and I agree with her completely.

    I love your blog because it is not really about epilepsy, but about family, parenting, growing, and reflection. I have really liked reading about those wierd, surreal, let's admit it - terribly disappointing, and at the same time for us epilepsy families, totally normal, status quo moments (the musical concert in Colorado, the epilepsy camp from a summer or two ago where they were so thrown by a seizure). You seem to have kept such a sense of humor about things and the ability to reflect on things lovingly as a mom, realistically as a person with a great medical knowledge, and as a professional, on top of the fact that you are dealing with a much harsher type of epilesy than many. Like Paola says, us families affected by seizures do live in the shadows, and yet we do live lives beyond the seizures. Your site is different from regular parenting sites, or regular epilepsy sites.

    I can see where you might feel like you would run out of steam for new blog entries, because how often can one write about disappointment and the cruel fact that life is not fair. For the record, I never got tired of it or felt that you were whining. I also hate every epilepsy talk I have to give to new teachers, caregivers, bus drivers, parents of playdate friends, where their eyes get bigger and bigger. We all want epilepsy to stop controlling our lives, and at the same time I wonder if you would write entirely without the aspect of epilepsy in your life, would it feel authentic to you? It is a part of us and our lives, for better or for worse. We wouldn't be who we are without it anymore.

    Although it's only through your blog and it's not been long, you have inspired me to be a better and more calm mom to my boy with seizures, and my daughter who suffers from the seizures as only a sibling can. Your encouragement to go for the job this winter (which I got! I am now an elementary school secretary/nurse/admissions officer and while it earns a pittance, it's my first paycheck in eight years and the distraction from home life has been fun), and more indirectly through your own example, has encouraged me to branch out in life and face this road with less fear. In some small way, you have really encouraged me to take more control of my own life as an individual and for that I am really grateful.

    Just like Paola, I'd also keep reading! All the best to you and your family, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI. Thanks for sharing your experience. Like you son, I have Epilepsy. I've been on a cocktail of meds w/ phebnobarb being the constant guardian for 15 yrs. My hopes were high that after 2 craniotomies to remove the brain tumor, I would have no more seizures. Yesterday, I was put on a new drug that's supposed to be, " Better." I'm concerned. So many of these drugs cause depression and other phychiatric issues. Keppra made me so depressed I wanted to die....right away too! It was rough for me and my hubby. I noticed you asked a ? about Fycompa/ Perampanel. I'm taking my first dose today. They want to take me off of phenobarbital as they say it causes problems. I'm almost 50 and have been on it for 15 yrs. I'm fine w/ that. I greatly dislike taking seizure medicine but I dislike the seizures worse. I'm really giving it a try. How has your son performed on this medication? you can email me directly @ kimk111@icloud.com

    ReplyDelete