Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Transition....Transition! (Think Zero Mostel in "Fiddler on the Roof")


Dear Epilepsy,
I've recently been introduced to your cousin, Transition.  You know, the tall sort of imposing fellow?  He is a little hard to get to know, I have to be honest.  He seems to live a secret sort of life: very few parents in my position have become well acquainted with him.  Now, epilepsy, we've had our scuffles and we've learned to live together..begrudgingly.  But this Transition guy..he seems like nothing but trouble.  He is imposing all kinds of problems on our family.  Should we retain guardianship of our son when he turns 18 in six months?  Who will watch Cesare when my husband and I are at work?  Should he try to take a few courses at the local community college...without the one to one aide/nurse he has had for most of his compulsory education career?  Or should we engage one of the local agencies who propose to have him work in a supervised setting sorting recyclables with his regents diploma? I haven't gotten a single clear answer from him Ep.  And, not unlike other masked marauders, I always have to contact a third party to contact Transition...county agencies, state agencies local organizations.  They beam, like, a bat signal that is reflected off the night sky and within a day or two, your cousin shows up..mute...unshaven..rumpled like he's been out all night.  And then, Epilepsy, he has nothing to say for himself.  He speaks in catch phrases and rhetoric.  I'm learning to deal with you, Ep, but I can't wrap my mind around Transition.  Please tell me you don't have more relatives like this one that I have yet to encounter. 

Yours Truly,

Amy Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment