Monday, April 28, 2014

Sleep

I have a lot to say about sleep.  I can talk about menopausal lack of sleep, melatonin induced sleep, seizures during sleep, administering meds when I'm half asleep, sleeping alone, sleeping on my feet...I have a lot to say about sleep.

Cesare is a nocturnal seizer.  That's not a word, by the way, but should be.  He seizes almost 100% at night.  He does not have tonic clonic seizures but he is partial to clusters.  He really likes clusters. So when he gets rolling, I need to give him Ativan to stop the clusters or if really, really bad rectal Diastat..though he hasn't needed that in years.  What happens when you cross a woman "of a certain age" with many nights of interrupted sleep?  I don't know.  What was the question?

My head is frequently scrambled.  That's hard when I work with emotionally disturbed teens.   They demand so much, rightly so.  But my memory is just awful.  With my middle schoolers, I often hide my bamboozlement behind an oft told tale that I am 104 years old.  (When I recently slipped and told them about turning 50 one little cupid said "I KNEW you weren't 104!!"  Thank you.)

I have a confession to make: I yearn for a cold.  A rip roaring, coughing, stuffy nose, oozing cold. A fever would be icing on the top, but it isn't absolutely necessary.  Know why?  Nyquill Night Time Cold Reliever.  It is a legitimate way to get a solid nights sleep.  It is a note from a parent covering a skip day at school.  It is a Federal Holiday when work is oppressive.  It is a snow day, a vacation day.  It is Queen for a day.  I have no guilt, and let the chips fall where they may.  This may be foolish, and maybe foolhardy.  But once in a while, I just need to sleep. So please, cough on me, and bring on the Puffs Plus and the licorice spiked Nyquill 'cause Mr. Sandman....I'm coming your way.




No comments:

Post a Comment